A stronghold is a location that has been declared by a faction as being their headquarters or base of operations. Strongholds provide a greater degree of protection to the members of a faction. Locations that have a stronghold are indicated on the map interface with this icon:
The location of a faction's stronghold is visible to all members via the faction page of that faction. Nonmembers may learn about the stronghold location via the faction page as well, but this is dependent on the size of the faction. All faction pages display the plane of their stronghold. Factions with 30 or more members will also display the stronghold's neighborhood on that plane. Factions with 70 or more members will display the stronghold's exact location.
Each faction may have one and only one stronghold. Only members of the faction who have the "Edit Faction" permission may define a location as a stronghold (or revoke stronghold status from a location). If a faction has a stronghold, all members of the faction must pay "rent" for the stronghold daily, in the form of 1 Magic Point each.
The chief benefit of a stronghold is the factional ward that is placed inside of the location (see below). Other benefits provided by a stronghold include:
- A special safe that allows faction members to store items inside the stronghold. Faction members with the "Access Safe" permission can add or remove items from this safe (see below).
- An alchemical workbench inside the stronghold, for use with the Alchemy skill.
- Facilities and tools for Crafting Ammunition inside the stronghold.
- A message board that does not require markers or chalk.
- Inability for non-faction members to cast wards upon the location that contains the stronghold.
- Multiple purchasable upgrades.
- Attacks made by faction members on non-members within their own stronghold have NO effect on Morality.
- Infusions on the Stronghold square do not decay naturally
Strongholds also change the way of respawning. Characters who are in factions with strongholds will respawn near to their stronghold (within 10 squares). However there are exceptions:
- Characters who are not in factions, or those who don't have strongholds, will spawn normally.
- If there are no spawnable locations near the stronghold (like around Caldera Sea), the character will respawn normally.
- Tier 3 characters won't respawn in Valhalla, even if they have a stronghold there. The pull of the outer planes is too much.
Creating a Stronghold
To create a stronghold, the following criteria must be met:
- The character must have the "Edit Faction" permission and have been a member of the faction for at least 24 hours.
- The character must be at the location he or she wishes to make into the stronghold, and be inside that location.
- The character must have sufficient Action Points and Magic Points. Creating a stronghold costs 30 Action Points and 20 Magic Points.
- The location must not be another stronghold.
- The location may not be infused by a non-allied faction to a depth of 20 or greater points.
Strongholds may only be created in specific locations. The list of "valid" locations is too large to list here; however, the following types of locations are not valid:
- Any location that does not have an "inside;"
- Any location that is "large" - that is, any building whose interior is more than 1 grid square in size;
- Any resource building, including: Malls, Police Stations, Hospitals, Fire Stations, Airports, Churches, Parliament, Power Plants, Zoos, Prisons, Military Bases, Museums, Stadiums, Gun Stores, Libraries, Iron Fortresses, Sewers, Hardware Stores, Ebony Towers, Ivory Towers, Dark Cathedrals, Damned Libraries, Iron Garrisons, Smithies, Euphoria Asylums, Vaults of Enlightenment, Panopticons, Necrotic Tower, Mosques, Shrines, and Synagogues.
If all these criteria are met, a button will appear in the actions pane labeled "Create Stronghold." Clicking this button will create the stronghold and instantiate the ward. (Note: you must be inside the building to create a stronghold.)
Setting down a stronghold automatically infuses the location to the new faction for 30 points. If the location was already infused to the faction, no change occurs.
Revoking a Stronghold
If all these criteria are met, a button will appear in the actions pane labeled "Remove Stronghold." Clicking this button will delete the stronghold. Revoking stronghold status immediately dissipates the ward protecting the location.
All strongholds have a special, magical ward that is automatically erected and maintained inside of the stronghold. This ward is permanent and cannot be dispelled (though it can be destroyed, just like any other ward - though only for a limited time).
The factional ward will prevent all characters from entering who are not members of the faction whose stronghold the location is (the ward even prevents Void Walkers with The Stepping of the Corner from entering).
The strength of the ward, in hit points, can be calculated using this formula:
((Infusion points on SH tile) x 3) + Purchased ward upgrades
The ward will regenerate a one fifth of its maximum hit points every tick. If a faction ward was destroyed, it will reform with this same amount of HP.
As of 1.4.6, mortals and tier 2 characters receive a damage multiplier when attacking a factional ward. Mortals do 2x their normal damage while tier 2s do 1.5x. Tier 3 characters receive no bonus multiplier and attack at normal strength.
All strongholds have a safe which can only be accessed by members of the faction whose stronghold contains it. The character's faction rank must have the "Access Safe" permission to take items from the safe or put them into it. The safe has a maximum inventory size of 60,000.
When inside the stronghold, two new options appear inside the actions pane that allow the character to:
- Place items from their personal inventory into that of the safe's, or
- Take items from the safe's inventory, adding them to their own.
If there is nothing in the safe, the option to remove items will not appear. Taking or giving an item costs 1 Action Point.
If the stronghold is revoked, any items within the safe become inaccessible until such time as a new stronghold is created (at which time the items will magically appear inside the safe at the stronghold's new location).
Faction leaders have the ability to bulk drop items from the safe at a cost of 15 Action Points per drop. This ability is limited to leaders only.
All strongholds have a message board which can be used to spread information to all people who enter the stronghold. The character's faction rank must have the "Message Board" permission to change the current message on the board, however, anyone may read the message (including faction enemies who make their way into the stronghold).
If the stronghold is revoked and then re-positioned, the message will re-appear in the new location.
These are the available upgrades that factions can purchase by trading in Faction Points. Functional upgrades and Ward upgrades require that the faction spend some honor each day to maintain them. If the faction can not afford the upkeep cost, the upgrades become disabled. Costs below are denoted in Faction Points for purchase / Honor for upkeep.
These upgrades give the stronghold new properties and can allow characters inside the stronghold to perform actions they might not be able to otherwise.
- Forge - 200 FP / 1 Honor. Allows characters to craft/repair items requiring forges inside the stronghold. It is a stone kiln-type forge.
- Gunsmithing Table - 200 FP / 1 Honor. Allows characters to craft/repair firearms and ammunition inside the stronghold. This is a work area filled with various tools used in the creation and maintenance of guns.
- Medical Bay - 200 FP / 1 Honor. Stronghold is treated as a hospital. The room has several scanning devices and a well-stocked supply of tools.
These upgrades increase the strength of the Factional Wards that protects the stronghold. Ward upgrades stack and must be purchased in order. There is no flavor text for ward upgrades.
- Level 1 Ward Upgrade - 100 FP / 1 Honor. The faction's ward is increased by 100 hp.
- Level 2 Ward Upgrade - 200 FP / 1 Honor. The faction's ward is increased by 100 hp (200 hp total).
- Level 3 Ward Upgrade - 300 FP / 2 Honor. The faction's ward is increased by 200 hp (400 hp total).
- Level 4 Ward Upgrade - 400 FP / 2 Honor. The faction's ward is increased by 200 hp (600 hp total).
- Level 5 Ward Upgrade - 500 FP / 3 Honor. The faction's ward is increased by 300 hp (900 hp total).
Flavor Upgrades simply add a short blurb to the stronghold description. This is descriptive only and has no game effect. They cost a small amount of FP to purchase but require no honor to keep active.
- Art Gallery - 25 FP. There are several well-done peices of abstract art hanging in the gallery.
- Basketball Court - 25 FP. It is a full-court room with polished wooden floors.
- Dance Floor - 25 FP. It is a large room with a polished wood floor and a hanging disco ball.
- Day Care Center - 25 FP. It is a brightly-colored room filled with plastic toys and soft pillows.
- Game Room - 25 FP. The game room contains a billiards table and several arcade and pinball machines.
- Greenhouse - 25 FP. It is a hot, humid room, filled with rows of interesting looking plants.
- Hot Tub - 25 FP. It is a large heated hot tub.
- Koi Pond - 25 FP. It is a small pond filled with enormous goldfish.
- Planetarium - 25 FP. It is a black-walled room with a large telescope.
- Racquetball Court - 25 FP. It is a small, enclosed white-walled room.
- Rock Garden - 25 FP. It is a serene, spartan room that contains only rocks, sand, and a rake.
- Sparring Room - 25 FP. The floor is covered with padding and the walls are mirrored.
- Swimming Pool - 25 FP. It is an indoor swimming pool and the air is pungent with the scent of its chlorine.
- Theatre - 25 FP. It is a private screening room with a digital projector and a rocking sound system.
- Torture Chamber - 25 FP. It is a dark room with a sinister-looking table with manacles.
- Weight Room - 25 FP. It is a well furnished weight room, with several benches of free weights and machines.
- Wet Bar - 25 FP. It is a large, well-stocked wet bar with a few stools.
Other Stronghold bonuses
Players belonging to a faction residing in any planes other than Valhalla receive an extra bonus for searching on the same plane as their stronghold resides. The bonus is +10% to search.
Factions can raid each other's strongholds and destroy them by taking the faction's standard. A raid occurs when members of one faction destroy a stronghold's ward and engage in combat with the members of the faction owning the stronghold. After a faction's standard is captured, the stronghold is revoked and a new one cannot be created for 24 hours from the time of destruction.